With Britain’s first Gold on the board
City Index August 2, 2012 7:25 PM
<p>With Britain’s first Gold on the board, the Olympics are unlikely to dominate proceedings today as the world prepares for the final of the rate […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- With Britain’s first Gold on the board, the Olympics are unlikely to dominate proceedings today as the world prepares for the final of the rate decision at 12:45pm.
- With Mario Draghi in lane one likely to be the star, the question remains, will China once again announce first and steal the show?
- With all the excitement to come later on today, the markets have started in a fairly subdued manner, with the FTSE continuing yesterday’s gains, up a modest 15 points at 5728. The rest of Europe is mixed, with the German DAX down 24 points at 6734, while the Spanish index is down 0.6%, Italy is down 0.4% and the French CAC is only a touch below parity.
- In the UK, Smith and Nephew takes gold as the biggest gainer, up 2.2% after announcing a boost to dividends.
- Finishing out of the medals and the biggest faller, Aggreko is down 2.5% despite announcing robust growth and a positive outlook.
- As expected, strength from the euro is outpacing sterling, but with slight dollar weakness, we are also seeing some strength in the metals.
- With UK PMI figures at 9.30am and US jobless claims at 1.30pm this afternoon, not to mention the key rate decisions, there are likely to be plenty of fireworks away from the Olympic Park.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.