US Equity Handover: Stocks Storm Back on Rising Rate Cut Hopes, Fading Mexico Tariff Fears
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT June 4, 2019 9:55 PM
See a summary of the top stock themes and trends from today's US session!
- US indices surged higher today after Fed Chairman Powell left the door open for a rate cut, with most major indices rallying back above their 200-day moving averages.
- Higher-yielding REITs (XLRE) and utilities (XLU) were the weakest sectors, while technology stocks (XLK) led the way higher, gaining over 3%.
- Two developments prompted traders to breath a tentative sigh of relief on US-Mexico trade tensions: Mexico’s President Lopez Obrador expressed confidence in making a deal to avert US tariffs ahead of June 10. Separately, Senate Majority Leader McConnell stated there was “not much support” for tariffs on Mexico.
- FAANG stocks bounced back after yesterday’s litigation-driven drop: Facebook (FB) +2.0%, Amazon (AMZN) +2.2%, Apple (AAPL) +3.7%, Netflix (NFLX) +5.2%, & Alphabet (GOOG) +1.6%.
- See why we’re keeping a close eye on developments in the rare earth metal markets!
*There are no high-impact corporate announcements expected during tomorrow’s Asian session.*
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.