US Equity Handover: Indices Shrug Off NFP Miss, Close Higher for Fourth Straight Day
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT June 7, 2019 9:20 PM
See a summary of the top stock themes and trends from today's US session!
- US indices closed higher for the fourth consecutive day to close at a 3-week high.
- Technology (XLK) was the strongest sector today, gaining nearly 2%. Utilities (XLU) were the weakest (-0.7%).
- The May Non-Farm Payrolls report came in soft, with the BLS estimating that the US economy produced only 75k net new jobs in May, well below the expected 175k reading. Adding insult to injury, the previous reports were also revised lower by 75k jobs and hourly earnings grew at just 0.2% m/m.
- The weak jobs report prompted traders to increase bets on a June or July rate cut by the Federal Reserve, with the market-implied odds of a cut rising to 28% and 90% respectively, according to the CME’s FedWatch tool. The greenback was the weakest major currency on the day.
- Both Beyond Meat (BYND) and Zoom Video (ZM) delivered earnings triple plays (beat on earnings, beat on revenues, raised guidance) in their first reports as public companies. BYND +41%, ZM +18%.
*There are no high-impact corporate announcements expected during tomorrow’s Asian session.*
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.