- US indices gained ground for the second straight day, with the DJIA regaining its 200-day moving average and the VIX dropping back below 20.
- Ten of the eleven major sectors rose on the day again, led by communication service stocks (XLC). Financials (XLF) were the laggard, falling fractionally from yesterday’s close.
- Uber rallied back toward 42.00 today to retest its IPO price.
- Trade headlines dominate once again: President Trump decided to postpone his decision on EU automobile tariffs for six months, while Treasury Secretary Mnuchin noted that the US was close to a deal with Mexico and Canada on steel tariffs.
- The WSJ suggested that a US delegation may head to China for trade talks next week, though that hasn’t been confirmed. See “What Trump’s up to and how it might end” for more.
NTS = No Time Specified
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.