Two trades to watch: EUR/USD pushes above 1.2150, WTI after Goldman Sachs' bullish call on oil
Fiona Cincotta January 12, 2021 8:01 AM
EUR/USD picks up from session lows and re-takes 1.2150 on cautious market optimism WTI extends gains after Goldman Sachs sees solid rebound in oil prices by mid 2021. API data in focus
EUR/USD rebounds above 1.2150
• Cautious optimism along with the USD taking a breather as treasury yields stabilize at 1.15% is helping EUR/USD pick up from session lows and retake 1.2150.
• Surging covid cases, vaccine rollout and US politics remain in focus.
• There is no high impacting economic data leaving sentiment & covid developments in the driving seat
EUR/USD technical analysis
• WTI continues its impressive bullish run advancing for 6 of the past 7 sessions and pushing over $52.
• Helping the case for oil, Goldman Sachs made a bullish call that Brent (currently at $55.50 bp) will rise to $65 by mid-2021 amid a sharp rebound in demand. It expects to see the Saudi output cut and global vaccine rollout to result in a fast tightening of the market.
• Meanwhile rising covid cases and tighter lockdowns conditions are strong headwinds for oil.
• API crude oil inventory data due later is expected to show a drawdown in inventory for the 5th straight week.
Oil also appears to be considering a move above its week old ascending resistance line and its 11 month high at $52.70. Should the bulls refresh this multi month top $54.70 could come into play.
Failure to extend gains beyond $52.70 could see WTI revisit yesterday’s low and the 20 sma of $51.50 prior to $50.40 swing low 7th Jan and key psychological support at $50 which is also the 50 sma.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.