The FTSE 100 was up 104 points this morning
City Index April 20, 2011 6:30 PM
<p>The FTSE 100 was up 104 points this morning. The CAC 40 was up 119 points and Dow futures are up 62 points so far […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- The FTSE 100 was up 104 points this morning. The CAC 40 was up 119 points and Dow futures are up 62 points so far on the day.
- On Tuesday the Dow closed up 65 points with stocks rising and recouping some of Monday’s steep losses as positive earnings helped to overcome worries about the US ability to tackle long term fiscal woes.
- US home construction in March rose from very low levels in February but overall activity for the sector remains weak. Housing starts also came in better than expected.
- UK opened this morning with a rally in tandem with gains in Asia and Wall Street as some corporate results built up optimism about the earnings season. The market has recovered some of the sharp falls made in the previous session thanks mainly to strength in oversold commodity issues.
- US dollar weakness sent crude oil higher after a report showing Eurozone growth sent the greenback currency falling against the euro.
- Spot gold has hit record highs on a weak dollar, currently at 1500.6.
- Copper was also buoyed by US housing market data and a weak dollar.
- Data on existing US home sales, to be released at 2pm GMT, is expected to highlight the real state of the US housing economy.
- Back in the eurozone, the German IFo business climate will be released at 9am on Thursday. The report is used as an indicator of current conditions and business expectations.
- At home, UK retail sales figures will be released at 9.30am on Thursday, followed by the Philadelphia Fed Survey at 3pm GMT.
- In the US, Apple, Amex, AT&T and Wells Fargo will be announcing results before the markets close for the long weekend on Friday.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.