The Fed’s August minutes were dovish
Mansur Chowdhury August 23, 2012 7:40 PM
<p>After yesterday’s negative European news flow, the Fed’s August minutes last night were dovish, and indicated that further monetary easing is highly likely. This morning […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- After yesterday’s negative European news flow, the Fed’s August minutes last night were dovish, and indicated that further monetary easing is highly likely.
- This morning we see the markets looking positive with the news of possible prospective stimulus measures from the US and China.
- The FTSE is at 5790, up 13 points, the DAX is at 7040, up 17 points with the CAC up 6 points at 3470.
- The positive sentiment is evident as commodity prices including base metals and gold, have rallied.
- No surprise then, to see the biggest risers being mining firms. Fresnillo the pick of the bunch currently trading 4.5% higher at 1595. Randgold Resources, Antofagasta and Vedanta Resources are also amongst the biggest risers. But Kazakhmys are currently 1% down at 696, on warnings that rising costs were impacting their performance.
- Engineering firm IMI are the biggest faller, after reporting in-line first half-year but warned that growth is likely to slow down in the second half. Their shares currently trading lower buy 1.7% at 868.
- A number of important economic data to watch out for today. The most notable ones being the US Initial Jobless Claims at 1.30pm, EUR consumer confidence at 3pm and the US New Home sales at 3pm.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.