Production delayed at Mariner oil field

<p>North Sea oil firm Statoil has announced it will delay the start-up of the oil field.</p>

Statoil, an oil firm based in the North Sea, has announced a delay to the start of its Mariner oil field, which is located 93 miles east of Shetland.

The Norwegian company says it will postpone production at the massive site by a year – meaning it won't begin until the second half of 2018.

According to the firm, the delay is due to a hold-up at its construction yards in South Korea, rather than the current downturn in the North Sea. The company added that it was "fully committed to the North Sea" and that the delay would not impact on existing jobs, although some recruitment efforts will be staggered.

Statoil says £4.6 billion Mariner project is the largest field development on the UK Continental Shelf in more than ten years – once completed, it's expected to be in production for at least 30 years.


Petrochemicals company Ineos has taken a step to boost its North Sea presence by increasing its stake in the Clipper South gas field, which is located off the east coast of England, around 62 miles from the Theddlethorpe Gas Terminal.

Ineos operates Scotland's largest petrochemical manufacturing complex at Grangemouth. It said it has bought a 25 per cent share in the field from Fairfield Energy Holdings. The firm also recently acquired a 50 per cent of Clipper South from DEA group, meaning it now owns a 75 per cent stake in the field. Bayerngas holds the remaining 25 per cent stake.

The company added that the acquisition of the gas fields provides "a great entry point" for its upstream business.

Rob Nevin, the upstream chairman for Ineos said he was pleased about the company's latest acquisition.

He commented: "We are very pleased to have been able to acquire this additional share in the Clipper South Gas Field from Fairfield Energy, which is another step forward as we continue to pursue opportunities in the North Sea."

Build your confidence risk free
Join our live webinars for the latest analysis and trading ideas. Register now

StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.

No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.

For further details see our full non-independent research disclaimer and quarterly summary.