Miners weigh on the FTSE as Severn Trent tops leaderboard in early trading
Trading Floor News May 14, 2013 3:42 PM
<p>- The markets edged higher yesterday amid discussions in the Eurogroup meetings that there are plans to clamp down on tax fraud in the EU. […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- The markets edged higher yesterday amid discussions in the Eurogroup meetings that there are plans to clamp down on tax fraud in the EU.
- The FTSE Index closed up 0.1% and on the open this morning, it reached 6650 but fell to 6628 by 9am.
- Severn Trent was the top riser, up 18% in early trading after the UK water company announced an approach for a takeover. With utility stocks dominating the leader board, the top five losers all came from the mining sector, with Eurasian Natural Resources the weakest performer down 2.5%.
- Banks were also mostly lower with the exception of Lloyds who are now in quest of a new chairman.
- In Asia today, the Nikkei closed down 24 points at 14,758 and the Hang Seng was off 94 points at 22,895.
- It is a fairly quiet day in terms of economic data as we are only expecting one figure of high importance – the German Economic Sentiment which will come at 10am GMT, forecast at 39.5.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.