Markets struggle in quiet trading session
City Index December 14, 2011 3:04 PM
<p>As LIBOR rates jump and the euro gets squeezed, hitting an 11-month low against the dollar yesterday, the majority of yesterday’s gains have been given […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- As LIBOR rates jump and the euro gets squeezed, hitting an 11-month low against the dollar yesterday, the majority of yesterday’s gains have been given up in early trading.
- As the sell off ran through the US session after a hold on quantitative easing, the Dow Jones finished down 66 points.
- Currently the FTSE is down 21 points at 5469 as another jump away from riskier assets has hit the miners.
- The biggest faller is Fresnillo, down 3%.
- Elsewhere, Rangold, Antofagasta and Rio Tinto are all down between 2% and 1.5% respectively.
- On the positive front, Lloyds is the biggest gainer, up 0.7%.
- With Freddie Flintoffs help on the advert, Morrisons Supermarkets also looking stronger, up 0.4%.
- Interestingly, Xstrata is also stronger, up 0.6%.
- At 9.30am this morning, we have UK November claimant data but otherwise a fairly quiet start to trading.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.