Markets stronger after US Fed keeps rates on hold
City Index January 26, 2012 5:33 PM
<p>After the FTSE closed down 28 points yesterday, a stronger showing in the US, spurred on by the Federal Reserve’s promise to keep interest rates […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- After the FTSE closed down 28 points yesterday, a stronger showing in the US, spurred on by the Federal Reserve’s promise to keep interest rates low, has led to a positive start here in Europe.
- Currently we have the FTSE up 21 points at 5744 and in Germany the DAX is up 0.5% and in France the CAC is up 0.65%.
- With trading updates from Anglo American and figures from Kazakhmys, the miners are very much in focus this morning, leading the rally in early trading
- Kazakhmys is the biggest gainer, up 2.9%, while Rio Tinto, Randgold Resources and Vedanta are all up over 2%.
- Lloyds is also stronger, up 2.5%, with RBS and Barclays close behind, up 2.3% to 2% respectively.
- Some cracking figures have sent EasyJet flying this morning, up 8.5% after revenue surges 16.7%.
- However, it’s not all good news as Tate & Lyle is the biggest faller, off 0.8% after a broker downgrade.
- It’s also been a tough start for BP and Next, both down around 0.5%.
- BskyB is also suffering after a downgrade from Barclays.
- With no major UK data to be aware of, we have US durable goods and US jobless claims at 1.30pm (UK time), while we also have US home sales for December out at 3pm (GMT).
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.