Markets open higher as investors look beyond Italian elections
Trading Floor News February 27, 2013 7:59 PM
<p>- In Asia the Nikkei is trading down at 11,253, whilst in Europe the FTSE is at 6,297, the CAC 40 is at 3,645 and […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- In Asia the Nikkei is trading down at 11,253, whilst in Europe the FTSE is at 6,297, the CAC 40 is at 3,645 and the DAX is at 7,631. The indexes have moved up from the weakened levels that we saw yesterday following the inconclusive election results in Italy. Over in the United States the Dow Jones closed yesterday at 13,784.
- On the FTSE, notable gainers from the day’s trading so far are Barclays, up just under 2%, Vodafone who are also up by 2% and Weir Group, who are trading up just over 4% following a report on increased pre-tax profits with expected revenue growth in 2013.
- Taking a quick look at commodities, gold is trading at around 1,611 and silver at 29.28 – both of which are showing small price changes of late. Elsewhere brent crude oil is up half a percent, currently at $113.
- Focusing on the major forex pairs, EUR/USD and EUR/GBP have both shown some signs of recovery from yesterday, also trading at 1.3078 and 1,1537 respectively. GBP/USD is currently at around 1.5101.
- Finishing up with a quick look at the headlines, phone manufacturer Nokia, who have so far failed to gain much headway on Apple and Samsung Electronics Co, may be setting its sights on weaker rival BlackBerry. The Finnish company are hoping that their partnership with Microsoft will help them win business users. Thank you for listening.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.