Market Brief: Stocks Stage Late Rally Despite Fed’s Caution Toward Further Rate Cuts
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT September 18, 2019 8:57 PM
See a summary of the top market themes and trends from today's US trading session!
- As expected, the Federal Reserve opted to cut interest rates 0.25% to the 1.75-2.00% range today. In its accompanying economic projections, most Fed policymakers projected that the central bank was done cutting interest rates for the year, though Fed Chairman Powell did hint at the potential for further balance sheet expansion depending on how conditions evolve.
- FX: The pound and US dollar were the strongest major currencies today, while the aussie and kiwi brought up the rear.
- Commodities: Oil dropped another -2% today as President Trump seemingly opted for “a diplomatic response” (including additional sanctions) on Iran rather than a military response. Gold fell nearly -1%.
- A couple of the major altcoins surged today, with both Ethereum (ETH, +2%) and Ripple (XRP, +10%) seeing noteworthy rises. Cryptocurrency benchmark Bitcoin remains mired around the 10,200 area.
- US indices closed mixed after a late rally as Fed Chairman Powell moderated the hawkish tone of the central bank’s statement.
- Energy (XLE) once again brought up the rear among the major sectors; Financials (XLF) led the way to the topside.
- Stocks on the move:
- FedEx (FDX) dumped -13% after cutting its outlook for 2020 and warning on risks to the global economy.
- McDermott International (MDR) collapsed -63% after announcing that it engaged a turnaround consulting firm.
- Recent IPO Chewy Inc (CHWY) slumped -6% after reporting a larger-than-expected loss
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.