Market News & Analysis
Market Brief: Stocks Shrug Off Non-Manufacturing PMI Swoon
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT October 3, 2019 9:17 PM
- FX: The New Zealand and Australian dollars were the day’s strongest major currencies; the Swiss franc and Canadian dollar were the weakest. The British pound also edged higher after the announcement of Boris Johnson’s new Brexit plan.
- US data: The ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI survey confirmed the weakness in its Manufacturing cousin, printing at 52.6, well below the 55.0 reading expected and at its lowest level in 3 years. The employment component of the survey, a key leading indicator for Non-Farm Payrolls, fell to essentially flat at 50.4.
- See what we’re expecting ahead from tomorrow’s highly-anticipated Non-Farm Payrolls report!
- Commodities: Gold ticked higher on the day while oil dipped less than 1%
- US indices closed higher on the day despite a mid-morning swoon on the disappointing ISM Non-Manufacturing PMI data.
- Technology (XLK) was the strongest sector on the day, while Utilities (XLU) were the weakest and the only sector to fall.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.