Market Brief: Stocks and Dollar Recover, but Traders Think Impeachment Risk Remains
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT September 25, 2019 8:58 PM
See a summary of the top market themes and trends from today's US trading session!
- In political news, President Trump released a memo of his conversation with the Ukrainian President, claiming that there was no quid pro quo to investigate Joe Biden’s son in exchange for military aid. Betting markets remain unconvinced, with PredictIt still showing traders pricing in a 60% probability that Trump gets impeached (though likely not removed from office, given the Republican stranglehold on the Senate).
- FX: The US and Canadian dollars were the strongest major currencies on the day, with each -rising by more than 0.5% against their other major rivals. The pound was the weakest major currency today.
- Commodities: Both gold and oil fell between 1-2% on the day, with a buildup of oil inventories and news that Saudi Arabia had nearly restored all of its capacity weighing on crude.
- US indices closed solidly higher on the day, with optimism about a potential US-China trade deal lending some strength to stocks.
- Technology stocks (XLK) led the way while Health Care stocks (XLV) brought up the rear.
- Stocks on the move:
- Nike (NKE) rallied 4% today to hit a new record high above 90.00.
- Philip Morris (PM) gained 6% after calling off merger talks with Altria (MO, -0%)
*No major economic data releases are expected during Thursday’s Asian session*
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.