FX & Stock market snapshots as of [06/08/2019 0500 GMT]
- The JPY crosses have continued to see heightened volatility where profit taking can be seen in yesterday’s USD/JPY shorts positions. The USD/JPY has rallied closed to 1.00% in today’s Asian session to retrace yesterday’s steep decline due to trade tensions escalation.
- RBA has left the key policy cash rate unchanged at the lowest level of 1.00% as expected and admits that the Australian economy has slowed and cited renewed trade tensions between U.S. and China as a major concern. The AUD/USD has traded sideways below yesterday’s high of 0.6804.
- Ahead of the European opening session, all Asian stock markets are still trading in the red with the Australia’s ASX 200 being the worst performer with a loss of -2.44% as at today’s Asian mid-session. Technology & Healthcare sectors are the biggest drag on the ASX 200 where both sectors have declined by -3.98% and -3.33% respectively.
- After the U.S Treasury Dept has officially named China as a “currency manipulator”, the China central bank PBOC has guided the opening fixing on the onshore USD/CNY at 6.9683, above yesterday fixing of 6.9225 but below expectations of 6.9871.
- The offshore USD/CNH has dropped by 807 pips from today’s Asian session high of 7.1400 to a current intraday low of 7.0593. A weakening USD/CNH has managed to trim earlier losses seen in the Asian stock markets.
- The S&P E-mini futures has traded up by 2.91% from today’s Asian session low of 2775 to print a current intraday high of 2850.
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.