- Risk assets rallied today after President Trump indicated that China was willing to come back to the negotiating table over trade tensions (a claim that China disputes, but that ultimately might not matter for traders).
- FX: Risk-sensitive currencies like the Australian and Canadian dollars led the way higher, while the safe haven Japanese yen was the day’s weakest performer.
- Commodities: Gold was essentially flat on the day. Oil dipped about 1%.
- US indices closed around 1% higher on US-China trade talk optimism. Time will tell if the latest developments mark a turning point or merely a short-term bounce off support.
- See the key data releases and market trends we’ll be watching over the rest of the week!
- Stocks on the Move:
- Biotechnology company Amgen (AMGN) rallied 3% after announcing a deal to buy Celgene’s (CELG, +3%) Otezla subsidiary for $13.4B. Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY, +3%) said the deal was necessary for regulatory approval of its pending acquisition of Celgene.
- Pitney Bowes (PBI) lost -8% on news that it was selling its software solutions business to data company Syncsort.
- Dish Network (DISH) rallied 4% after an analyst at Raymond James upgraded the stock.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.