- FX: The pound was the day’s strongest currency as the Conservative Party conference kicked off and the UK government reportedly finished the text of its Brexit proposal. The Swiss franc was the weakest and now may be breaking out against the US dollar.
- Commodities: Both gold (-2%) and oil (-3%) fell today – see the key support levels we’re keeping an eye on for gold!
- US indices closed roughly 0.5% higher across the board on the final trading day of the quarter.
- Technology (XLK) was the strongest sector on the day, while Energy (XLE) was the weakest.
- See a full rundown of the key market events and trends we’ll be watching this week!
- Stocks on the move:
- Blackstone Group (BX) dropped -3% after announcing it would buy Colony Industrial.
- Apple (AAPL) gained 2% after a JP Morgan analyst raised his price target to $265. The stock’s market cap is once again above $1 trillion.
- Shares of Chinese firms Alibaba (BABA, +1%) and Baidu (BIDU, +2%) gained after the US Treasury Department denied it was considering banning Chinese firms.
- Tesla (TSLA) dropped -1% after a judge ruled the company engaged in unfair labor practices late on Friday.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.