Market Brief: Pound Pounded Ahead of Tomorrow’s UK Supreme Court Decision
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT September 23, 2019 9:07 PM
See a summary of the top market themes and trends from today's US trading session!
- FX: The pound was the weakest major currency today ahead of the UK’s Supreme Court’s ruling on Parliament’s prorogation tomorrow morning; separately, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said that there was “no basis for a deal.” The New Zealand dollar was the day’s strongest major currency.
- US data: Markit’s Manufacturing and Service PMI figures both came in near 51, signaling slow growth, though the Services employment component did drop into contractionary territory for the first time since 2010.
- Commodities: Both oil and gold gained about 1% on the day.
- US indices closed mixed in a generally quiet session as traders awaited new Brexit developments and more clarity in US-China trade tensions.
- Consumer Staples (XLP) were the strongest major sector on the day, while Health Care stocks (XLV) brought up the rear.
- Stocks on the move:
- Embattled online retailer Overstock.com (OSTK) dumped another -25% after the company revised down its guidance for Q3.
- Nike (NKE) gained 1% ahead of tomorrow’s after-the-bell earnings report.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.