View our guide on how to interpret the FX Dashboard.
- OPEC is reportedly considering cutting production by another 500k barrels per day until at least June, more than some analysts were anticipating. The cartel will make its formal decision public tomorrow.
- Traders haven’t paid it much mind yet, but US Speaker Nancy Pelosi formally announced that the House of Representatives would be drafting articles of impeachment against President Trump.
- US data: Initial Unemployment Claims printed at 203k, a better-than-expected reading that the 215k economists were anticipated. Traders are looking ahead to tomorrow’s marquee Non-Farm Payrolls report.
- FX: The British pound was once again the strongest major currency, extending its gains against rivals. The Australian dollar was the weakest. Accordingly, GBP/AUD has rallied to its highest levels in nearly 3.5 years at 1.9260.
- Commodities: Both gold and oil were flat on the day, despite OPEC rumors flying.
- US indices closed modestly higher on a quiet day.
- Financials (XLF) were the strongest major sector on the day; Energy (XLE) brought up the rear.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.