- FX: The New Zealand dollar was the strongest major currency on the day; the British pound was the weakest as traders took profits after a strong rally on the week overall.
- US data: Non-Farm Payrolls came in below expectations at 130k, though average hourly earnings did beat expectations at 0.4% m/m. The unemployment rate held steady at 3.7% despite a 0.2% rise in the labor force participation rate.
- Meanwhile, Canada saw a strong jobs report and Ivey PMI reading, so the BOC may not have to cut interest rates next month.
- Commodities: Gold fell for the second straight day after testing a 6-year high midweek. Oil gained less than 0.5%.
- US indices closed mixed in quiet trade as Fed Chairman Powell did little to deter traders from expecting another 0.25% cut to interest rates later this month.
- Energy (XLE) was the strongest major sector on the day while Utilities (XLU) were the worst in narrow-dispersion trade.
- Stocks on the move:
- Recent IPO Zoom Video Communications (ZM) shed -8% despite reporting better-than-expected earnings and sales figures.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.