View our guide on how to interpret the FX Dashboard.
- US and Canadian bond markets were closed for Veteran’s Day, leading to lower volatility in other markets and a dearth of economic data releases
- In terms of major news, the headlines that Nigel Farage’s Brexit party would sit out the coming UK election reduced the risk of a hung Parliament and boosted the pound.
- FX: The New Zealand dollar and British pound were the strongest major currencies on the day, while the Australian, Canadian, and US dollar are all vying for the day’s worst performance as of writing.
- Commodities: Gold ticked lower to test a key support level and oil edged lower in a quiet day.
- US indices closed mixed in quiet holiday trade.
- REITs (XLRE) were the strongest major sector on the day; Energy (XLE) brought up the rear.
- Stocks on the move:
- Boeing (BA) rallied 5% after announcing its 737 Max fleet could return to service in January.
- Goldman Sachs (GS) dropped -2% after the NY Department of Financial Services announced a probe into the new Apple Card (AAPL, +1%).
- Alibaba (BABA, -0%) was essentially flat despite announcing its Single’s Day haul of CNY268B ($38B USD).
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.