Increased investor wobbles as Kingfisher approaches the halfway point of its 2021 savings plan were always likely. Since May, the stock, long-becalmed by exposure to the UK and variable growth in key European regions, has made its way to slightly below the lower bound of an approximately three-year standard deviation range. That says longstanding unease about the plan is coming to a head.
The group aims to save £500m per annum from the target date, though there is an £800m cost. Visibility on risks to the group successfully meeting its endpoint remains low. A confluence of seasonal effects militated against getting more optimistic in the first half. They made Q2 last year tough to beat whilst persistent sales erosion in France looks more and more structural. Kingfisher's own horizon looks cautious up to the two-year stage. It remains "comfortable with Year 2 consensus underlying EPS expectations". That leaves ample room for full-year 2017 outcomes to marginally skirt already reduced expectations to the downside.
None of that precludes the group happening upon further initiatives like those that produced an unexpected £5m benefit from goods not for sale savings in H1, taking the total to £25m. GNFR releases of around £2m more over the year to 1H 2018 do not seem implausible.
Kingfisher is shaking out weak investor interest as it slowly fixes itself up, though the picture of its painful transition is pretty much complete.
- We mentioned a standard deviation channel above. It is really another way of expressing a key technical characteristic of the stock: its range bound tendency over the last three years
- The floor over that period remains around 283p, where KGF bounced in November 2014 and has really never relapsed since, despite a low volume post-Brexit vote spike down to 269p. In fact, absent that extreme, a higher support around 302p had worked quite well till it definitively broke in July
- What we’re left with is a range yes, but one for which lower reference points are more difficult to fix than those on the upside: note the dual-shaded region of the chart below depicts standard deviations from centrality over a range 12th September 2014 to 17th August 2017. Price remains within 2 standard deviations from centrality on the top side of the automatically calculated range. But price would have repeatedly spilled beneath the bottom part of a symmetrical range because declines were 2.7 standard deviations beneath centrality
- All told, whilst we can’t claim any purely mathematical basis, from a technical perspective, it appears the bottom half of the range is more vulnerable than the top
- Immediate focus falls on the descending line from January 2015 which may provide support before 283p
- A rapid increase in downside momentum would result if the latter gives way
- Topside, the range would be re-established back above c. 302p
DAILY CHART: KINGFISHER
Source: Thomson Reuters and City Index
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.