Investors cautious as Cyprus continues to threaten stability in the eurozone
Trading Floor News March 19, 2013 3:00 PM
<p>- All eyes are on Cyprus at the moment, where an unstable financial situation continues. The country is expected by eurozone ministers to raise €5.8 […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- All eyes are on Cyprus at the moment, where an unstable financial situation continues. The country is expected by eurozone ministers to raise €5.8 billion from tax on bank deposits.
- Politicians on the island are voting on solutions to the crisis today so it is worth tracking the news later on in the day.
- Cyprus has also suspended its stock exchange today and tomorrow.
- Asian stocks traded higher today, with the Nikkei closing up 2% and the Korean Kospi up 0.7%.
- European indexes, on the other hand, have traded down this morning, with the CAC and Dax opening 0.4% lower. The FTSE opened down 0.3%, dragged lower by Rio Tinto, Fresnillo and BHP Billiton.
- Speaking about companies, HSBC faces penalty charges for illegal activity in Argentina. Sainsbury’s reported an increase in sales by 2.1% for the year to date.
- We have just seen the release of UK inflation figures, with CPI coming in line with expectations at 2.8% and better than expected PPI.
- Today watch out for the eurozone economic sentiment survey at 10am and US building permits at 12.30pm GMT.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.