Investors apprehensive amid fresh tensions surrounding US budget talks
City Index December 28, 2012 5:08 PM
<p>- There was little movement in the markets this morning as investors were apprehensive amid fresh tensions surrounding US budget talks. – Mining stocks and […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- There was little movement in the markets this morning as investors were apprehensive amid fresh tensions surrounding US budget talks.
- Mining stocks and banks were among the most pressured sectors, as talks to avoid a ‘fiscal cliff’ of planned tax hikes and spending cuts in the US slipped yet again.
At 9am the FTSE was at 5960, the DAX was at 7660 and the DOW was at 13253.
- Steelmaker Evraz was the top faller on the day, down 0.9%, while Lloyds Banking Group was also down 0.8% in early trading.
- John Wood Group was an early riser, with Weir Group later up 2%.
- In other news, UBS has agreed to pay $1.5 billion to US, UK, Swiss and Hong Kong authorities in relation to the Libor fixing scandal. This is one of the largest fines ever imposed on a bank, and the investigation is still ongoing.
- The 9.30am UK retail sales figures have come out worse than expected at 0%, despite expectations of an improvement. We are also awaiting US figures this afternoon – unemployment claims at 1.30pm and existing home sales and manufacturing index data at 3pm so that will be something to keep an eye on.
- Spread betting, CFDs and forex trading are leveraged products which can result in losses greater than your initial deposit. Ensure you fully understand the risks.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.