Hang Seng Index (Weekly Outlook for 17 Aug to 21 Aug) – Hovering above the 23450 long-term key support
Kelvin Wong August 17, 2015 6:19 PM
<p>(Click to enlarge charts) What happened earlier The Hong Kong 40 Index (proxy for the Hang Seng Index) has continued to drift sideways below the […]</p>
What happened earlier
The Hong Kong 40 Index (proxy for the Hang Seng Index) has continued to drift sideways below the 24900 potential medium-term upside trigger level.
Please click on this link for more details on our previous weekly outlook.
*Please note that the weekly candlestick for 06 July to 10 July 2015 is erroneous as it did not have a weekly close below the 23450 support. This error will be rectified as soon as possible.
- Current price action is now testing the key long term support at 23450 which is the lower boundary of the long-term ascending channel in place since 26 October 2008 low (the start of the on-going major bullish trend) (see weekly chart).
- The 23450 long term support also coincides with the 61.8%/76.4% Fibonacci retracement of the recent up move from 08 July 2015 [email protected] to 21 July 2015 [email protected] (see 4 hour chart).
- The long term Stochastic oscillator has dipped back into its oversold region (see weekly chart).
- The significant intermediate resistance remains at 24000 range top which confluences with the 50% Fibonacci retracement of the up move from 08 Jul 2015 low @12pm to 21 Jul 2015 high @12pm and the descending trendline joining the highs since 26 May 2015 (see daily chart).
- The next resistance to watch will be at the 26400/27000 zone which confluences with the 61.8%/76.4% Fibonacci retracement from 27 Apr 2015 high @12pm to 08 Jul 2015 low @12pm (see 4 hour chart).
- The short-term Stochastic oscillator is now coming close to its extreme oversold level which suggests that the current downside momentum is at its potential cyclical low where a rebound in price action is imminent (see 4 hour chart).
Key levels (1 to 3 weeks)
Pivot (key support): 23450
Resistance: 24900, 26400 & 27000
Next support: 22710 & 21170
The Index is now back at its key inflection level of 23450 (the long-term key support as aforementioned) but lack of upside momentum to push up and form a new swing high.
Thus, the 24900 range top remains the key intermediate resistance that the Index needs to breakout in order to gain inertia for a potential upside movement to target 26400.
On the other hand, failure to hold above the 23450 weekly pivotal support is likely to damage the long-term bullish trend and see the start of severe correction towards 22710 before 21170 in the first instance.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this email, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. All queries regarding the contents of this material are to be directed to City Index, a trading name of GAIN Capital Singapore Pte Ltd.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.