Greece agreed new austerity package with its creditors
Trading Floor News October 25, 2012 4:20 PM
<p>- Markets have experienced a slight boost today amidst news that Greece has agreed a new austerity package with its creditors. This, along with a […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- Markets have experienced a slight boost today amidst news that Greece has agreed a new austerity package with its creditors. This, along with a strong mining sector has left the ftse up 12 points at 5831.
- Over in Europe the CAC and DAX are up 18 and 40 respectively at 3448 and 7238.
- Wall Street closed down 25 points at 13077 after hopes for any further quantitative easing are diminished, especially in light of the imminent election.
- Drilling down into these indices top of the pile is Unilever up 3.4% after reporting favourable results on the back of strong demand from emerging markets including china.
- Also, in the FTSE 250 Debenhams has leapt 7.66% after it announced very favourable results including a 4.2% increase in profits. On the other side of the coin advertising giant WPP has cut its full year outlook for the second time in the last few months losing 2.66% of its share price.
- Once again it’s a big day in America for earnings reports the highlights to look out for being Expedia, Sprint Nextel, New York Times, Coca-Cola and the big one.
- Apple who took a hit yesterday after a lukewarm reception to their new iPad mini. For a full list of companies reporting please check out the market analysis section of the website.
- Today’s big macro new, the UK has finally climbed out of recession in the past quarter smashing expectations to show a 1% quarter on quarter increase in GDP with a welcome boost coming from the Olympics. 1.30pm sees core durable goods orders, unemployment claims and pending home sales coming in from the US, good results there could see a decent uplift across the board before the weekend.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.