- The dovish FOMC meeting continued to weigh on the US dollar throughout Asia, seeing USD/JPY drop to its lowest level since the January flash crash.
- RBA’s Lowe hammered home the likelihood of another cut, saying it’s unrealistic to think 25bps cut can alter growth, it’s not unrealistic to expect a further reduction in cash rate and the possibility of a lower cash rate remain on the table.
- Australian yields hit fresh record lows with the AU2 and 10yr yields falling to 0.93% and 1.29% respectively. The ASX200 pushed to a fresh post-GFC high and hones-in on the all-time high.
- AUDNZD fell to its lowest level since early April. Better than expected GDP data from NZD and expectation for RBNZ to hold next week have weighed on the cross.
- Asian caught the tailwind from the FOMC meeting, trading mostly higher led by Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Gold is on track for tis most bullish week in 3 years, after spiking higher to $1392, its highest level in five years.
- Trump is to meet with Putin at the G20 meeting next week.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.