- A data-light session in Asia saw volatility remain low, with the largest movers in FX being technically driven retracements against last week’s price action. AUD is currently the strongest major and CHF is the weakest, seeing AUD/CHF gain 0.35% from its multi-month lows.
- The US is to announce ‘major sanctions’ on Iran on Monday, Trump tweeted.
- A mixed picture for equities, with STI and ASX200 leading the declines with stocks in China and seeing marginal gains. Still, volatility remains capped ahead of the highly anticipated G20 meetings in Japan which begin on Thursday.
- RBA’s Lowe: Risks to the global economy are tilted to the downside. If everyone is easing, effect on exchange rate is offset. Australian government can borrow at record low rates but should be for projects that make a return and more infrastructure projects would benefit the Australian economy.
- China’s Vice Commerce Minister says China supports normal operations and reforms of WTO. And the Assistant Foreign Minister says China will not allow G20 to discuss Hing Kong issue, as HK matters are an internal affair for China.
- 80% of economists polled by Reuters see the ECB either cutting rates or lowering their forward guidance further by the end of September.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.