- NZD CPI rose in line with expectations to alleviate a little pressure for RBNZ to ease in August. NZD remains the firmest major this session and over the past month. NZ TWI has moved up to a 3-month high.
- AUD and CHF are currently the weakest majors. Although AUD/USD did briefly move to an 8-day high in quiet trade.
- Equities and index futures traded cautiously higher ahead of earnings and US data.
- Brexit concerns continued to weigh on GBP and EUR, with investors nervous that Boris Johnson winning the leadership contest in just a couple of weeks.
- UK employment data puts GBP crosses into focus, at a time when traders are adjusting to the potential for BOE to ease in-light of recent comments (therefor likely sensitive to any weakness in the data).
- Germany’s ZEW economic sentiment, which is seen as a leading indicator for the Eurozone’s broader ESI, has turned markedly lower at -21.1%, which could keep EUR crosses under pressure if these cracks continue to widen.
- US retail sales, industrial production, manufacturing production make the bulk of data in the US session to make the major in focus for traders.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.