Market News & Analysis
FX Brief: Greenback on the Back Foot Again as Debt Ceiling Debate Revived
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 12, 2019 8:35 PM
- US PPI (June) came in a tick better than expected at 1.7% y/y vs. 1.6% eyed. Core PPI came in at 2.3% vs. 2.1% expected. Despite the higher-than-expected inflation readings, the Fed is still almost certain to cut interest rates at the end of this month.
- US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin declared that the US may hit its debt ceiling before Congress returns from summer recess, meaning that a deal is necessary by the end of the month.
- USD/CAD is set to close at a year-to-date low below key previous support at 1.3050.
- The Aussie was the strongest major in a risk-on day; the US dollar was once again the weakest major currency.
- See the key trends and data releases we’ll be watching in the coming week!
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.