- Equites were lower as doubts began to creep in that Trump and Xi could pull off a successful talk at the G20, weighing on equities although volatility remain contained overall.
- Trump agreed to ‘no preconditions’ for the Trump-Xi meeting. Once questioned about whether he’ll ask Putin not to meddle in the US elections, he responded “yes, of course I will”, then turned to Putin with a smile and told him not to meddle in the elections. Brilliant.
- JPY and CHF are currently the strongest majors in a slight risk-off session, all FX pair have remained well within their typical daily ranges. This could leave plenty of ‘meat on the bone’ for moves to unfold if we see headline shaking news throughout the US or European sessions.
- Gold has tested a 2-day high as markets shift to the defensive, whilst USD/CNH carves out a potential dead cat bounce (bearish pattern). US10Y remains anchored to 2%, which appears to be a pivotal level around the G20.
- We expect the G20 to dominate sentiment as we head towards the weekend. President Trump is due to meet with Xi Jinping at 02K30 GMT on Saturday, so we wouldn’t be surprised to see traders de-risk ahead of market close, which could see equities under pressure and demand for JPY, CHF and gold rise.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.