FTSE slightly lower as trader eye G20 meeting; Rio Tinto posts biggest loss in 15 years
City Index February 15, 2013 4:08 PM
<p>Watch the latest market update from the floor at City Index with Monika Krawczyk. Losses can exceed your initial deposits. – Yesterday, we saw the […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
Watch the latest market update from the floor at City Index with Monika Krawczyk.
Losses can exceed your initial deposits.
- Yesterday, we saw the eurozone GDP fall by 0.6% in the fourth quarter of 2012. On the positive side, looking at historical data, the euro has strengthened against the pound sterling and Japanese yen in the past six months.
- Across Europe, the markets were little changed this morning, with the German DAX and French CAC both down by 0.2%.
- The meeting of the G20 Group is taking place today in Moscow. Finance ministers are looking into the possible solutions to help the struggling world economies and are also discussing the prevention of currency wars. We should hear more announcements on Saturday, 16th February.
- Back in the UK, the FTSE 100 opened slightly lower today, reaching the 6327 figure just after 8am. UK retail sales were worse than expected, down by 0.6%.
- Rio Tinto reported a net loss of £1.93billion for 2012 – the company’s biggest loss in at least 15 years. The company’s CEO said that it will focus on increasing the value for its shareholders.
- Today, watch out for US industrial production data and the preliminary University of Michigan consumer sentiment survey.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.