FTSE opens on the backfoot this morning
Mansur Chowdhury January 30, 2012 5:32 PM
<p>The FTSE has opened on the backfoot this morning, down 25 points from the open and dropping below the key 5700 level. The German DAX […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- The FTSE has opened on the backfoot this morning, down 25 points from the open and dropping below the key 5700 level.
- The German DAX is down 45 points and the French CAC is down 35 points.
- Leading the decline are the banks, with RBS and Lloyds both down 2.3% and Barclays down 1.6%.
- Ratings agency Fitch announced over the weekend the downgrading of Italy, Spain, Belgium, Cyprus and Slovenia.
- On the FTSE 100, Diageo, Unilever, GlaxoSmithkline and International Power are amongst the risers. With the defensives leading the way, it shows market sentiment this Monday morning.
- Gold is trading lower at $1,720, after experiencing a strong rally since the start of the year. It appears to have found support at the 1745 level.
- US crude oil has also dropped to below the psychological 9900 level.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.