FTSE opens flat at 5921, with December futures just 2 points lower
Trading Floor News December 11, 2012 3:40 PM
<p>- The FTSE today opened flat at 5921, with the December futures just 2 points lower. – Miners were the weaker performers within the index, […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- The FTSE today opened flat at 5921, with the December futures just 2 points lower.
- Miners were the weaker performers within the index, accompanied by Diego whose share price has plummeted after acquisition talks to buy Jose Cuervo, the No.1 Tequila brand, has fallen through.
- Whitbread was leading the way, up 3% with shares rising above the £25 mark to an annual high, after their Costa Coffee arm in particular looks to be getting stronger.
- In currencies, the sterling has strengthened against the dollar, tracking a rise in the Euro, however it is thought that the Sterling could struggle if the German Economic Sentiment data, which is out at 10am, is better than expected.
- The Dax and Dow edged higher in early trading, but there have not been any significant movements as investors are apprehensive of a breakthrough in US budget talks, with the FOMC statement tomorrow afternoon. We are also awaiting the Trade balance figures for the USA at 1.30pm.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.