FTSE has opened pretty much flat this morning at 5694 with mining gains offsetting losses on oil stocks
City Index July 31, 2012 7:22 PM
<p>The FTSE has opened pretty much flat this morning at 5694 with mining gains offsetting losses on oil stocks. Banks have also lost out after […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- The FTSE has opened pretty much flat this morning at 5694 with mining gains offsetting losses on oil stocks.
- Banks have also lost out after yesterday’s hopes of more definitive eurozone debt action proved overly optimistic.
- The story is much the same over on the continent with the CAC off 5 points at 3313 with Citroen and Peugeot having tough mornings.
- In Germany the DAX is up 22 points at 6802 after some strong earnings results and bullish analyst reports across a variety of industries.
- Wall Street ended the day yesterday flat at 13073 – JP Morgan taking a 2% hit after its stock got downgraded.
- Taking a closer look at our equity markets we can see BP are down 3.2% after they announced profits of $3.7 billion for the last quarter – down $2 billion from the same quarter last year.
- Britain’s largest oil company has also been hit by a $5 billion write down in the value of US assets and has had to allocate an extra $847 million in provision for the 2010 Gulf Oil spill – taking its total cost to a whopping $38 billion, that’s $1 billion more than the bailout for Spanish banks agreed earlier this month.
- Media company ITV are also down 1.7% this morning, this might be because Deustche bank cut them from a hold to a sell, or, it might just be because everybody’s watching the Olympics on BBC.
- No macro figures of note coming out today other than American consumer confidence at 3pm but don’t forget it’s non farm payrolls this week.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.