FTSE down 110 points at 8.30am
City Index October 3, 2011 4:19 PM
<p>European markets have started October in the same manner as they ended September. After the FTSE finished down 68 points at 5128 on Friday, we […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- European markets have started October in the same manner as they ended September.
- After the FTSE finished down 68 points at 5128 on Friday, we have seen a further sell off in equities, with the FTSE currently down 110 points at 5018 after briefly slipping below the psychological level of 5000 in early trading.
- With equities struggling, traders are again looking towards gold as a safe haven, pushing the metal up $32.
- This is positive for Rangold Resources who are currently the only positive company in the FTSE, up 0.5%.
- Banks are dragging the markets down this morning, with Barclays down 5% while RBS is down 4% and Lloyds is down 3.5%.
- We also have Burberry down 6%, the biggest faller, back to levels last seen in April. This is despite a positive broker recommendation by Goldman Sachs, which raised its price target on the luxury retailer to £22 – almost double their current share price.
- On the macro front we have manufacturing figures coming out today, with UK figures due at 9.30am while U manufacturing data will be released at 3pm (London time).
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.