FTSE and other major indices opening modestly lower this morning
Mansur Chowdhury September 24, 2012 4:00 PM
<p>- After a pretty range bound market last week, we see the FTSE and other major indices opening modestly lower this morning. China’s Beige Book […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- After a pretty range bound market last week, we see the FTSE and other major indices opening modestly lower this morning. China’s Beige Book showed that growth and manufacturing, trade and retail sales decelerated in third quarter of 2012, along with market disappointment at Spanish and Italian bonds rising again. Also the ongoing lack of agreement on a solution to the eurozone debt crisis appears to still be taking effect.
- The FTSE found strong resistance near the 5900 level last week, and after gradually falling as the week progressed, today opened 30 points lower and is currently at 5830.
The DAX 30 points lower at 7420, with the French CAC 30 points lower at 3500.
- Miners are the heaviest fallers this morning, as metal prices are sent lower due to the tension between China and Japan. Evraz and Anglo American down 3.5% and 3.2% respectively, with Eurasian Natural Resources, Antofagasta and Fresnillo all amongst the biggest fallers.
- The biggest riser is Wood Group, although only 1.7% up.
- All in all, a pretty quiet day today on the economic and corporate front, with European trade balance figures being released later in the morning but a very busy week ahead.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.