Medium-term technical outlook (1-3 weeks) on Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
Key technical elements
- The recent rebound seen from its 30 Oct 2018 low of 16.17 is now showing signs of bullish exhaustion. In the past 2 days (07/08 Nov), its price action has started to form two daily “Spinning Top” candlesticks pattern after the gapped up seen post U.S. mid-term elections.
- In addition, these negative sentiment “Spinning Top” candlesticks are being formed at the recent gap resistance of 22.75 seen on 24/25 Oct 2018.
- There is no bullish divergence signal seen in the daily RSI oscillator at its oversold region prior to the recent rebound seen in the price action of the stock and it remains below a significant corresponding resistance at the 51 level. These observations suggest that medium-term downside momentum remains intact.
- The key medium-term resistance stands at 24.55 which is defined by the descending trendline from 13 Sep 2018 high and close to the 50% Fibonacci retracement of the decline from 13 Sep 2018 high to 30 Oct 2018 low.
- The next significant medium-term support rests at 15.30/14.50 which is defined by the former range resistance from 28 Feb 2017, the primary/major ascending trendline from 20 Jan 2016 low and Fibonacci retracement/projection cluster.
Key Levels (1 to 3 weeks)
Intermediate resistance: 22.75
Pivot (key resistance): 24.55
Supports: 19.20 & 15.30/14.50
Next resistances: 28.40 & 30.50
The on-going rebound from its 30 Oct 2018 low of 16.17 is more likely to be corrective in nature (dead cat bounce) within a medium impulsive down move structure in place since 13 Sep 2018 high. If the 24.55 key medium-term pivotal resistance is not surpassed, the share price of AMD may see another downleg to retest the 19.20 intermediate support before targeting the medium-term support zone of 15.30/14.50.
However, a clearance above 24.55 invalidates the preferred bearish scenario for an extension of the corrective rebound towards the 28.40 and even 30.50 next (close to the 61.8%/76.4% Fibonacci retracement of the decline from 13 Sep 2018 high to 30 Oct 2018 low).
Charts are from eSignal
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.