Short-term technical outlook on US Tech 100 (Thurs, 27 Sep)
Key technical elements
- Since it hit a fresh record high of 7691, the US Tech 100 Index (proxy for the Nasdaq 100 futures) have continued to show bullish exhaustion signals. From a medium-term perspective, it has traced out an impending bearish reversal “Head & Shoulder” configuration with its neckline support at 7400 (refer to daily chart).
- In yesterday, 26 Sep post FOMC price action has ended the U.S session with a daily bearish “Gravestone Doji” candlestick formed at the “right shoulder” of the aforementioned “Head & Shoulders” configuration.
- The hourly Stochastic oscillator is now approaching its oversold region where the Index may stage a bounce to test its intermediate resistance at 7595.
- The key short-term resistance stands at 7620 which is defined by the upper limit of a minor “symmetrical triangle” range configuration in place since 07 Sep 2018 low of 7389 and Fibonacci retracement/projection cluster (refer to 1 hour chart)
- The near-term support to watch will be at 7480 which is defined by the minor swing low areas of 20/24 Sep 2018 (refer to 1 hour chart).
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Intermediate resistance: 7595
Pivot (key resistance): 7620
Supports: 7525, 7480 & 7400
Next resistance: 7691/7700
The US Tech 100 Index has shown bearish elements at its range resistance which highlights the risk of another drop towards its range support in the short-term. Therefore, as long as the 7620 key short-term pivotal support holds, the Index may see a decline towards 7525 and 7480 (minor “symmetrical triangle” range support). A break below 7480 is likely to see a further potential decline to test the key 7400 neckline support of the bearish “Head & Shoulders” reversal configuration.
On the flipside, a clearance above 7620 put the bears on hold for a squeeze up to retest its all-time high level of 7691/7700.
Charts are from City Index Advantage TraderPro
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.