Short-term technical outlook on Nasdaq 100 (Thurs, 31 Jan)
Click to enlarge charts
Key technical elements
- The US Tech 100 Index (proxy for the Nasdaq 100 futures) has managed to clear above the 6800 former minor range resistance in place since 18 Jan 2019.
- The Index has continued its upward climb since its 26 Dec 2018 swing low area of 5873/803 which implies a 5-week consecutive positive up move within a minor bearish “Ascending Wedge” range configuration (see daily chart).
- The upper boundary of the minor “Ascending Wedge” stands at 6975/7020 which also confluences with a Fibonacci retracement/expansion cluster (61.8% retracement of the recent decline from 01 Oct 2018 all-time high of 7700 to 26 Dec 2018 low & 0.618 expansion of the on-going rebound from 26 Dec 2018 low to 09 Jan 2019 low projected from 14 Jan 2019 high.
- The 1-hour Stochastic oscillator has started to exit from its overbought region and still has further room to manoeuvre to the downside before it reaches an extreme oversold level. This observation suggests that the Index may see a pull-back at this juncture to retest yesterday’s bullish breakout for the minor range resistance at 6800.
- The key short-term support rests at 6710 which is defined by a Fibonacci retracment cluster and the lower boundary of the minor “Ascending Wedge”.
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Intermediate support: 6800
Pivot (key support): 6710
Next support: 6600
If the Index manages to hold at the 6710 key short-term pivotal support, it may stage a potential final push up to target the key medium-term resistance at 6975/7020.
However, a break below 6710 negates the bullish tone for a deeper pull-back to retest the 6600 minor range support at 6600 (17/29 Jan 2019 swing low areas).
Charts are from City Index Advantage TraderPro
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.