Featured Trade: Bullish exhaustion seen in Hang Seng Index below key MT resistance
Kelvin Wong February 1, 2019 3:34 AM
Bearish signals seen in HSI right at the 28000 key medium-term pivotal resistance.
Short-term technical outlook on Hong Kong 50 (Fri 01 Feb)
Click to enlarge charts
Key technical elements
- The Hong Kong 50 Index (proxy for Hang Seng Index futures) has challenged the predefined 28000 key medium-term pivotal resistance as per highlighted in our weekly technical outlook report published earlier this Mon (click here for a recap). The Index printed a high of 28215 in today, 01 Feb Asian opening session before it reversed down below the 28000 level.
- Interestingly, the aforementioned price action’s negative reaction at the 28000 key medium-term pivotal resistance has occurred right at the upper boundary of an “Expanding Wedge” range configuration in place since 26 Oct 2018 low of 24487 (see 4-hour chart).
- The hourly price action has formed a “Bearish Engulfing” candlestick pattern coupled with a bearish divergence signal seen in the 4-hour Stochastic oscillator at its extreme overbought level. These observations suggest that the upside momentum of the recent up move has started to wane.
- The next significant near-term support rests at 27370 which is defined by the minor swing low area of 29 Jan 2019 and the 23.6% Fibonacci retracement of the entire up move from 03 Jan 2019 low to the key medium-term pivotal resistance swing high area of 28000/215.
- An important point to highlight in terms of intra market analysis, the Hong Kong 50 Index (proxy for Hang Seng Index futures) is the outperformer among the major stock indices that we track where it printed its swing low earlier in 26 Oct 2018 versus the rest of the indices (S&P 500, Nasdaq 100, DAX, ASX 200) where their respective swing lows came in much later in 24/26 Dec 2018 before the rebound kick started on a global scale. Therefore, if the Hong Kong 50 Index continues to stage a further decline and break below the 26740 medium-term downside trigger, it may play a leading role to drag down the rest of the major stock indices into a fresh bearish impulsive down move phase.
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Pivot (key resistance): 28000/215 (excess)
Supports: 27650 & 27370
Next resistance: 29100
The Index has started to show signs of bullish exhaustion at the 28000 key medium-term pivotal resistance. Thus if it manages to hold at the 28000/215 (excess) resistance level, it is likely to stage a further potential slide to target 27650 follow by the next near-term support at 27370. A break below 27370 opens up scope for a further decline towards the 26740 key medium-term downside trigger level.
On the other hand, a daily close above 28000/215 invalidates the bearish scenario for a further corrective rebound towards the next resistance at 29100 (swing high area of 26 Jul 2018 & 61.% Fibonacci retracement of the recent down move from 29 Jan 2018 all-time high of 33530 to 26 Oct 2018 low.
Charts are from City Index Advantage TraderPro
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.