European Markets Down around 1.5%
City Index November 7, 2011 3:19 PM
<p>As Europe reacts to the news from the weekend that Greek Prime Minister Papandreou will stand down, fear and anxiety has once again returned to […]</p>
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
- As Europe reacts to the news from the weekend that Greek Prime Minister Papandreou will stand down, fear and anxiety has once again returned to the markets.
- With a new Greek government forming to try to resolve the increasingly complex situation of their financial stability, European markets have tumbled in early trading.
- The FTSE is down 1.5% at 5440 and both the French CAC and German DAX are down 1.6%.
- Traders are taking a close look at Italy over fears that the country’s debt situation could put further pressure on Europe as Italian bond yields have soared in recent trading.
- The MIB is down a further 1.5% this morning.
- At home, the biggest faller on the FTSE is Weir Group, down 6.5%, with the wider sell off prompting traders to take some of the 40% gains seen in the stock since early October.
- Banks are also struggling, with Lloyds down 4.4%. Barclays is down 3.2% and RBS is down 3%.
- With no major macro data for release today and very little positive news, traders are awaiting further news from Italy and Greece ahead of the Brussels meeting this afternoon.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.