Stock market snapshot as of [4/6/2019 3:03 PM]
- To understand why risky assets are rallying on Tuesday, it helps to bear in mind that the grinding month-long stock market sell-off has clearly gone hand-in-hand with a rally in U.S. Treasurys of similar magnitude
- With the chair of the Federal Reserve speaking as this article is being published, bond investors are alert to the risk that Jerome Powell might damp rate-cut talk
- So far, the chairman sounds only slightly dovish: highlights include that he said the Fed is ready to act “as appropriate” – Treasury prices are trimming some of Tuesday’s falls
- The 10-year yield was up 6 basis a little earlier, at a still depressed 2.12%, approaching the July 2017 cycle low of 2.03%
- Lightened sentiment encourages buyers into Wall Street indices, with much of Europe rallying too
- The Reserve Bank of Australia’s possible leading-edge cut this morning may be another factor
- Talk that Congressional Republicans might block tariffs on Mexico may also be in the frame
- European shares are being led by Germany’s BASF heavyweight. The chemical company contributes most to the region’s STOXX 600 index with a 3% rise on speculation that it could sell its construction chemicals arm for $3bn
- U.S. shares are partly unwinding Monday’s sharper-than-market sell-off in big techs, in reaction to looming probes by the Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission
- Navistar is among the heavier U.S. risers as the truck maker hoists revenue forecasts
- Uber was up 2% a little earlier after getting a buy rating from Goldman Sachs
Upcoming corporate highlights
Upcoming economic highlights
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.