- US indices closed marginally higher, shrugging off geopolitical tensions in the Middle East.
- Crude oil spiked 4% after an attack on two ships in the critical Strait of Hormuz, though it pared the gains to under 2% by the end of the day.
- Energy stocks (XLE) were still the strongest sector on the day; Health Care (XLV) was the weakest.
- In terms of macroeconomic events, traders are looking ahead to a series of economic reports out of China, as well as US retail sales tomorrow.
- Stocks on the move:
- Walt Disney (DIS) rose 4% on an upgrade from Morgan Stanley
- Retailer RH (RH) surged 18% after reporting better-than-expected earnings
- DryShips (DRYS) rallied 23% on news that it received a buyout offer from SPII Holdings
- CrowdStrike (CRWD) gained another 19% to trade near $69 on its second day of trading, leaving shares up nearly 100% from yesterday’s IPO price of $34.
*There are no high-impact corporate announcements expected during tomorrow’s Asian session.*
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.