Market News & Analysis
Equity brief: Not fighting the Fed
Ken Odeluga July 9, 2019 5:19 PM
Stock market snapshot as of [9/7/2019 4:56 PM]
- Markets agree that it is futile to fight the Fed, so on the eve of chair Jerome Powell’s testimony to congress, European and U.S. stock indices returned some of their recent hard-won gains
- The surreptitious move into sectors perceived to be ‘safer’ continues, as do moves into more outright safe-havens, particularly developed-market sovereign debt and gold
- Wall Street trading has been choppier than Europe’s, but with minutes and Fed commentary on tap, shares on both sides of the Atlantic are likely to face another shaky session and a half at least; maybe more, depending on whether or not Powell confirms a July rate cut
- Europe ended firmly in the red. A spate of profit warnings from huge groups like BASF and Danske Bank dented sentiment further following Deutsche Bank’s ambivalently received revamp plan a day ago
- Nasdaq indices outpace the broader market as Semiconductor and Semiconductor Equipment indices continue to lead the broader U.S. technology sector higher
Upcoming corporate highlights
BMO: before market open AMC: after market close NTS: no time specified
Upcoming economic highlights
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.