Market News & Analysis
Equity Brief: Indices Close Flat in Lackluster Summer Monday Dealing
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 15, 2019 9:00 PM
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed mostly flat in lackluster Summer Monday dealing. The S&P 500 saw its narrowest range since September and the Nasdaq 100 traded in its smallest range since December 2017.
- Utilities (XLU) were the strongest major sector on the day while energy (XLE) was the weakest.
- US President Trump tweeted that China “wants to make a deal” after the country posted its lowest GDP growth reading in 27 years and that there was “possibly much more to come” in terms of tariffs on the country. Separately, NBC reported that Trump was considering removing his Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, a big advocate for tariffs.
- Stocks on the move:
- Symantec (SYMC) dumped 11% after the company ceased negotiations to buy Broadcom (AVGO, +1%)
- AB Inbev (BUD) gained 3% after calling off the expected $10B IPO of its Asian business.
- Gilead Sciences (GILD) tacked on 2% after it said it would increase its stake in Galapagos NV (GLPG, +19%) by $5.1B.
- Bayer (BAYRY) is gaining 3% after the close on news that the company's fine related to Roundup has been reduced to $25.3M.
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.