Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed marginally lower in another quiet session, amidst earnings reports from several major banks (see below)
- Industrials (XLI) were the strongest sector on the day and Energy (XLE) was the weakest as WTI crude dropped 3%.
- US retail sales printed stronger-than-expected at +0.4% m/m (vs. +0.2% eyed). Core retail sales also beat expectations at +0.4%, though there were negative revisions to last month’s report on both fronts.
- “Trade war” truce in danger? President Trump said he could impose more tariffs on China if he wanted and that there was a long way to go with China on trade.
- Stocks on the move:
- Three major banks reported earnings today, painting a mixed picture for the sector: JPMorgan Chase (JPM +1%), Goldman Sachs (GS +2%), Wells Fargo (WFC, -3%)
- Dow component Johnson and Johnson (JNJ) dipped nearly 2% after reporting a beat on earnings but falling revenue.
- Domino’s Pizza (DPZ) fell nearly 9% after reporting disappointing revenue and same store sales growth.
- Meal kit delivery company Blue Apron (APRN) surged 34% after announcing it would incorporate meals from Beyond Meat (BYND, +4%) into its seasonal recipes.
- See our preview for IBM’s earnings report tomorrow!
GAIN Capital UK Limited (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.