Stock market snapshot as of [14/07/2019 0420 GMT]
- Ahead of the European opening session, the release of China Q2 GDP figure has indicated that the China economy has continued to slow from Q1. Q2 GDP came in at 6.2% y/y as expected, the weakest in 27 years from Q1’s 6.4% y/y. China Jun Industrial production and retail sales had fared better than expected. Industrial production output recorded a growth if 6.3% y/y versus consensus of 5.2% y/y and retail sales came in at 9.8 y/y versus consensus of 8.3% y/y.
- Both the China A50 and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index has staged a recovery as today’s Asian mid-session after an intraday drop of close to -1.2% as market participants shrugged off the weak China Q2 GDP print in anticipation of more policy easing from the China central bank, PBOC in the next few months.
- Also, the highly anticipated mega Hong Kong IPO of brewer Anheuser-Busch InBev NV that aimed to raise between US$9.8 to 8.3 billion has been cancelled; making it the biggest IPO in the world so far after Uber’s US$8.1 billion deal. AB InBeV announced the decision on late last Fri, 15 Jul and cited lacklustre market conditions to pull the plug for the IPO of its Asia Pacific business.
- Overall, a mix picture for Asian stock markets where the modest losses have been recorded so far in Singapore’s STI and Australia’s ASX 200.
- In today Asian session, the S&P 500 E-mini futures is trading flat without any much significant movement after the bullish up move seen on last Fri, 12 Jun where the cash S&P 500 recorded a fresh all-time high close of 3013.
- Mix picture for the European stock indices CFD futures at this juncture where the German DAX is showing a modest gain of 0.23% while the FTSE 100 is almost unchanged.
- No major key European and U.K economic data releases for today.
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.