A light fillip to risk from China’s stimulus tweak was short-lived
In Europe, the latest soft print of German data (imports and exports fell hard in February) set the tone, tilting sentiment to the cautious side. The backdrop is U.S.-China trade talks that ended on Friday with progress but no conclusive deal. Discussions are scheduled to continue this week.
Key risk events:
- Markets price almost zero risk that the EU won’t grant the UK another extension when the bloc meets on Wednesday, the key uncertainty being how long
- How Mario Draghi reiterates downside risks at the ECB’s press conference on Wednesday will establish whether they’ve worsened or improved. Fine LTRO/rate details aren’t expected till June
- FOMC minutes (Wednesday) may hold clues on balance sheet reduction and any members leaning towards a cut
- Macroeconomic highlights: U.S. inflation and UK growth data on Wednesday; China’s trade and inflation readings on Thursday; Germany’s final CPI on Friday
Germany’s DAX stalls at 2019 highs
The index is navigating back to a multi-year rising trend smashed at year-end. Right now, exhausted momentum leaves price in poor shape to tackle sensitive levels:
- The critical 61.8% (12289) interval of the decline from January 2018’s record high to December’s bottom
- 12046: 10th September’s high that preceded volatility before a modest advance
- Current consolidation puts 11950 September lows at risk; before flimsy-looking 11903
- March 2018 swing lows, particularly near 11250, are visually the most solid
- Selling could still test the lower wall of a channel sketched since January, eyeing 11400s
Germany 30 CFD – daily [08/04/2019 14:59:54]
Source: City Index
StoneX Financial Ltd (trading as “City Index”) is an execution-only service provider. This material, whether or not it states any opinions, is for general information purposes only and it does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. This material has been prepared using the thoughts and opinions of the author and these may change. However, City Index does not plan to provide further updates to any material once published and it is not under any obligation to keep this material up to date. This material is short term in nature and may only relate to facts and circumstances existing at a specific time or day. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment, legal, tax or other advice and no reliance should be placed on it.
No opinion given in this material constitutes a recommendation by City Index or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although City Index is not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, City Index does not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination. This material is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any country or jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation.